The Indian Government has given each taxpayer access to an online site to streamline and facilitate the GST filing procedure. This official portal for GST simplifies the registration process. Registering your company is the initial stage, which may be done online by filling out an application.
Getting your GSTIN (GST Identification Number) will take some time, even if the process of enrolling for GST registration has gotten easier. After your application is submitted, you will receive an ARN (Application Reference Number).
It takes about 15 days for your application to be formally registered after finishing the registration. Through the GST official portal, you may use your Application Reference Number (ARN) to monitor the status of GST application throughout this waiting time.
Read on to learn more about how to check the status of GST application.
What to Know About ARN Number to Know the Status of GST Registration?
Do you know what is ARN number in GST? Here’s what you must know:
- ARN, in the context of GST, represents the Application Reference Number.
- What is ARN in GST? The GST ARN number is automatically generated on the GST Portal upon the submission of a GST registration application.
- Subsequently, this number can be employed for monitoring the progress of the GST registration application until the Government issues the GST Certificate and GSTIN.
- The GST ARN status number is created on the GST Portal once a GST registration application is submitted.
Therefore, the ARN number serves as an application identifier assigned to applicants, acting as evidence of their registration under GST, and it is utilized to verify the status of GST application.
Who Needs to File GST Registration?
In most states, businesses with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 40 lakhs are obligated to undergo GST registration. Furthermore, regardless of their annual turnover, businesses engaged in import or export, interstate trade, e-commerce, and similar activities are mandated to obtain GST registration. This article provides a comprehensive examination of the process for verifying the validity of GST registration.
Track GST Registration Application Status before Login
Here’s a guide on how to verify GST ARN status or GST Registration Status without the need to log into the GST portal:
Step 1: Visit the GST Portal and navigate to ‘Services’ > ‘Registration’ > ‘Track Application Status.’
Step 2: From the dropdown menu, choose “Registration,” as indicated in the screenshot below.
Step 3: Enter the ARN status check or SRN that you received via email after submitting the GST Registration application. Additionally, input the Captcha code and click on the “SEARCH” button.
Note that the Service Request Number (SRN) is generated when a GST registration application is filed on the MCA portal. The different phases are color-coded to represent the current status of the application. For instance, if your current status is at Stage 3, it will be displayed in green until you progress to Stage 3, after which it will be grayed out.
Track GST Registration Application Status after Login
Certain taxpayers have the capability to monitor the status of their applications (such as new registration, core amendment, or cancellation) by accessing the GST portal and utilizing the ARN or submission period. This feature is not accessible to first-time GST registration applicants.
Here’s how to check GST registration status:
Step 1: Log in to the GST portal and navigate to the “Services” section, then select the “Track Application Status” option.
Step 2: From the dropdown menu, choose “Registration” as the module.
Step 3: You have the option to check the application status by entering the ARN, SRN, or submission date.
Step 4: Click on the “download” hyperlink to obtain the acknowledgment.
Documents For GST Registration
The system automatically generates a distinctive Application Reference Number (ARN). This ARN number is essential for GST tracking status. Key documents necessary when applying for an ARN comprise:
- Complete KYC, including identification proof, PAN card, and residence proof of the Directors and Partners.2. Complete information about the constitution of the business that is being registered for GST.
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Articles of Association (AOA)
- Rent agreement/ electricity bill of the business premises.
- A cancelled cheque
- Memorandum of Association (MOA)
- Partnership Deed
GST Application Status (ARN)
The status of the GST application will vary based on the stage of the process it has reached at the time of checking. The implications of the displayed ARN tracking are explained as follows:
- Pending for Verification: This indicates that the registration process has been initiated and it is currently awaiting verification.
- Provisional: This signifies that the registration process has not been finalized, and the applicant has been assigned a provisional ID.
- Migrated: This suggests that the migration to GST has been completed.
- Canceled: As the term implies, the application has been canceled.
- Validation Against Error: This indicates that the PAN card submitted did not match the information retrieved from the Income Tax Department and, therefore, necessitates the resubmission of the document.
While GSTIN is typically assigned within 15 days, there are instances where it may be allocated even quicker, often within 2-3 days or a week. Consequently, it is crucial to consistently monitor the GST registration status on the GST common portal. Once you receive your GSTIN, it is imperative to include it on your invoices for customers and furnish it to your suppliers for the purpose of claiming input tax credits.
FAQs on How to Check GST Registration Status
What is GST ARN?
The GST ARN number, known as the Application Reference Number, is produced on the GST portal following the submission of a GST registration application.
What is the GST ARN number used for?
The GST ARN number serves the purpose of monitoring the progress of the GST registration application until the Government issues the GST certificate and GSTIN.
When is the GST ARN number generated?
The GST ARN Number is created on the GST Portal upon the submission of the GST registration application.
What is the use of the GST ARN Number?
The ARN assists current taxpayers in transitioning to the new GST system, and the ARN number is instrumental in verifying the online status of GST registration.