If you’re familiar with the GST idea, you may quickly discover a registered company’s GST number or GSTIN by searching for its name or Personal Identification Number (PAN). Through partnership with the national government, each state has access to a common database of GSTIN and business names, allowing you to do a GST search using either your PAN or the firm’s name. Using an online GST number search by PAN tool will help you find firms quickly.
What is GST?
Simply put, GST or Goods and Services Tax, is an indirect tax aimed to replace a variety of other indirect taxes such as VAT, service tax, purchase tax, excise duty, and others. GST adoption in India entails a single tax charged on particular commodities and services during purchase and sale. While there is a similar tax system throughout India, the GST rate may differ from state to state. Learn more about how to conduct GST check by pan below:
What is GSTIN?
A question commonly asked by people is: what is GSTIN number in PAN card? The Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) is a one-of-a-kind (UIN) number assigned to each taxpayer who is registered under the GST regime. You can quickly look up GSTIN number PAN card.
The 15-digit alphanumeric PAN-based number is designed to assist tax authorities in keeping all GST payments and due records together on a single platform, making it easier for both tax authorities and those who must do their duties.
Since it is public information, anybody may use it to determine if a company is legitimate or not. For a single corporation, both the state and federal governments levy several indirect taxes. The GSTIN generated as part of the GST Registration Process substitutes all of these taxes with a single number. GSTIN, a tax identification number, is intended to demonstrate that “One Nation, One Tax.”
GST Number Format
GST Numbers are issued to registered businesses/individuals in a specified format. The following are the critical facts of the GST Number Format:
- The GSTIN is made up of 15 digits.
- The first two digits can vary from 01-35 and represent the state code for the registration as determined by the Indian Census of 2011.
- The following ten digits are the PAN number of the GST-registered firm.
- The entity code is the 13th digit of the GST Number. It refers to the sequence in which a legal organisation having several registrations within the same state made their registrations. If a single legal entity registers two business verticals in the same state, the first registration will have one as the 13th digit, while the second registration will have 2.
- The 14th digit is “Z” by default for current registrations according to the existing GST number format. However, this digit is effectively being maintained for future usage.
- The final digit (15th) is now utilised as a cheque code and maybe a randomly assigned number or alphabet.
GST Number Search
One of the advantages of GSTIN information being available online, not just to tax officials but also to the general public, is the simple verification of legal firms. All you have to do is look for the GST Number supplied by a prospective seller to check the name, address, and other details according to the GST registration data. Following the introduction of GST and GST number search by PAN, several websites began advertising the capability.
It is, nevertheless, preferable to check GST registration data via the Official GST Portal. The ability to look for prospective business partners and vendors’ GSTINs is intended to boost confidence among firms across the country, especially across state lines. A person may look for GST number search by PAN by following the steps below:
- Step 1 – Visit the GST portal to search GST number by PAN.
- Step 2 – Click on the “Search Taxpayer” tab.
- Step 3 – Select the “Search by PAN” option.
- Step 4 – To utilise the search by pan number tool, input the dealer’s PAN number and the captcha code visible on the screen.
- Step 5 – Click on the “Search” button. The website will present the GSTIN registration details associated with the provided PAN.
- Step 6 – By clicking on any of the hyperlinked GSTIN numbers, you will be redirected to the ‘Search by GSTIN’ page with the GSTIN pre-filled.
- Step 7 – Enter the captcha code and click the ‘Search’ button. This action will display additional information about the business registered under the specified GSTIN.
In summary, conducting an online GSTIN search by PAN is a straightforward and uncomplicated procedure that can be accomplished using the official GST portal. By adhering to the steps outlined above, you can quickly identify the GSTIN number PAN card of any business or individual linked to a specific PAN.
FAQs on gst number search by pan
1. Do we need to pay to get a GST number?
Registering for GST and acquiring a GSTIN or GST number incurs no charges.
2. When will a GSTIN be allocated?
After the successful processing of the GST registration application, the GST portal will assign a 15-digit GSTIN to the applicant.
3. Is it mandatory to mention GSTIN on the invoices?
Certainly, a taxpayer must include the GSTIN on all invoices they issue. Additionally, a GST-registered individual must prominently display the GST registration certificate at all business locations.